Sunday, September 22, 2013

Boston and More

We arrived on Wednesday at Minuteman Campground outside of Boston.  
http://minutemancampground.com/amenities/


I am amazed At how they were

able to squeeze
                     
 

us in among 
the trees.  
There are 
really a lot
of trees here.




The air smells fresh and the fall crispness is in the air.  THIS is camping.

Ziggy isn't enjoying the fire
 because he's begging for a bite.


Boston 

We were off to catch the subway into Boston!   We left after what we thought would be rush hour.  I think all hours here are rush hours and heavy traffic.  The traffic was heavy but moved smoothly until we got to the roundabout ( called rotary here).   There were 2 lanes of traffic merging into a roundabout from 4 directions.  I do not have words to describe this craziness!!!

We rode the subway into Boston then we spent the day touring Boston by "on and off" trolley.  We walked the "Freedom Trail" and took a boat tour of the Boston Harbor.

Our focus for the day was the historical sites of Boston.   It is amazing how buildings so old sit among towering sky scrapers.  Boston has done a wonderful job of preserving buildings that have importance in our nation's beginning.

                                                                

"Old Ironsides"
I enjoyed the harbor tour the most.
Quincy Market was used as a "farmers' market" in earlier years.  The stalls here now house food vendors.  We walked through the Market to decide what to eat for lunch.  There were so many different food smells that by the time we got to the end of the market, I was no longer hungry. sorry no photo



This is Faneuil Hall where our founding fathers met to discuss issues that formed our nation.


Minuteman National Park
www.nps.gov/mima/



This park begins in Lexington and follows the road taken described in The Midnight Ride of Paul Revere to Concord to warn that the British were marching to Concord to search for ammunition stockpiles.  The video in the Visitor Center was excellent.  I wished that Carson was with us because he could relate to the history he has studied. 

In Concord, we visited the Old North Bridge where "the shot that was heard around the world" was fired.

“By the rude bridge that arched the flood,

Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled,
                                                 Here once the embattled farmers stood,                                                                      
                                               And fired the shot heard ’round the world”

Literature of the day 
seems to be how we remember
the history of the Revolutionary War.
The historians tell a different story.



There were actually shots fired in 
Lexington as the Redcoats marched
to Concord.   

To see photo of house and info go to 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Manse

This was a day of reflection about how my country began and where the country is now.


         Apples and Peaches, YUM
               http://doeorchards.wordpress.com/



The trees were loaded and there were families picking apples on this beautiful, sunny day. I think Ashley would have enjoyed being here.  Several kinds of apples were available but my favorite was the      honeycrisp.                                                                                          Larry's favorite was the apple pie I made for dessert.                                  
Peaches were also available for purchase.  I haven't tried them yet they need to ripen a bit more.

                                 

Lowell National Historical Park
www.nps.gov/lowe/

This National Park is in downtown Lowell, a mill town.   This park is dedicated to the industrial revolution that took place in America.  Boarding houses were established for the "mill girls" that came from rural areas to work.   One of the most interesting parts of the exhibit was how Jefferson and Hamilton disagreed in the role government should play in the development of industry.  They actually seemed to work things out and respect each others views.  


The park is located in the buildings that were the mills and boarding houses of Lowell.
We did not have time to take the boat tour that explains the canal system that was built to provide the power to the looms.
We enjoyed the park as well as the Jazz Festival in the Commons.



A Day of Rest
  Today is a day of much needed rest and relaxation.  It is raining and predicted to rain all day.  I am thankful for the beautiful weather we have experienced so far on this trip.  I am also thankful for a rainy day to help with the relaxation.   









No comments:

Post a Comment